Monday, November 9, 2009

Design for Life

My reaction after watching the season of Philippe Starck's Design for Life was "eh." I really didn't think that the woman who won really deserved it. I wasn't that impressed with the fact that she just made a really organic cane. Maybe I don't understand how it works fully, but from what I see it simply wraps around you leg... The other finalist, who produced a magnetic dinning set was actually really clever. I do think however that the dinning set wasn't the most attractive product, so I guess it really was a subjective choice on Starck's part. Of course we all know how he loves things to look nice but not necessarily work...Ahem...

It has a laundry list of reasons why it doesn't work, but it is quite interesting... But enough about Starck. I would however love to see an American version of this show produced. I think it would raise a lot of awareness about what we do as designers, and if you could get some heavy hitting American designer/designers (Karim Rashid???) to host it, I think it could pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment